NAS director of communications Ashley Thorne is this week's guest on Inside Academia. She talked about the origins of the sustainability movement on college campuses, compared the movement to the earlier rise of the diversity movement, and explained that sustainability advocates seek to fix attitudes rather than promote disciplined study.
Click on the video below to watch the 15-minute interview.
- 0:39 – What is Sustainability? As Movement? Its Origins? (3 mins)
- 2:20 – Sustainability: Environmental, Social, & Economic Components (2 mins)
- 6:56 – Top-down political agreement forces faculty to teach sustainability (1 min)
- 8:12 – Methods of campus sustainability propaganda (2 mins)
- 12:00 – Sustainability and invidious culture transformation (2 mins)
- 14:04 – Can “sustainability” be de-politicized? (1 min)